The North East North Cumbria (NENC) SPF was set up by employers, trade unions and NHS Employers' North engagement team.
Priorities for 2022/23
- Health inequalities and the role of the NHS as an anchor organisation.
- Staff health and wellbeing.
- Supporting and influencing the development of the NENC Integrated Care System and Provider Collaborative.
Achievements for 2021/22
- A joint response to the consultation on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for frontline NHS members of staff was issued to the Department of Health and Social Care.
- A joint response to the revoking of the vaccination as a condition of deployment in February 2022.
- A regional statement on people recovery was issued in August 2021, asking employers to commit to working in partnership with their trade unions on supporting the wellbeing of staff.
- The joint chairs had fortnightly virtual meetings to share issues and information in real-time, to allow for connection on workforce policy and issues.
Meet the team
- Trade union co-chair - Terry Johnstone, Regional Organiser, UNISO
- Trade union co-chair - Adele Heeley, Regional Coordinator, BMA
- Management co-chair - Karen O'Brien, Director of People and Development, North East Ambulance Service
- Management vice-chair - Rachael Metcalf, Human Resources Director at South Tees Hospitals
For further information on the NENC SPF, please contact the North Team.
Wider Group key comms September 2022
Key communications from the 15 September Wider Group meeting.
25 October 2022
The national SPF is focusing on work aimed at preventing and reducing violence against NHS staff.
24 October 2022
Supporting system change
The SPF is supporting effective partnership working in system transformation.
21 October 2022
SPF statement – principles for social partnership in workforce change for Integrated Care Systems
Read the SPF's guidance for social partnership working across Integrated Care Systems (ICSs).
20 September 2022
Background to the current health and care system
A brief overview of the development of the health and care system.
16 September 2022
Domestic and Sexual Violence and Abuse Toolkit for staff
Read how Belfast Health and Social Care Trust, winner of the 2022 HPMA partnership working award, developed a domestic and sexual violence toolkit.
9 September 2022
Wider Group key comms June 2022
Key communications from the 22 June Wider Group meeting.
28 July 2022
The SPF encourages open environments in NHS workplaces, where staff feel confident to raise concerns.
29 June 2022
Principles for ICB partnership machinery with recognised trade unions
These principles set out best practice for ICBS to set up and run joint negotiating and consultative machinery.
21 March 2022
National SPF Stocktake 2020/21
Read the findings of the internal National SPF stocktake of work undertaken in 2020/21.
22 September 2021
Staff transfers: Frequently asked questions
The most ask questions and answers for staff facing transfer.
6 September 2021
Healthcare workers flu vaccination
The SPF encourages employers in the NHS to work in partnership with its trade union representatives to deliver their seasonal flu staff vaccinations.
1 September 2021
Creating the North East and North Cumbria SPF
The creation of the North East and North Cumbria SPF provides a model for others to follow on establishing, from scratch, a successful SPF.
1 September 2021
SPF Conference - Positive partnership working through COVID and beyond
Read the highlights and download the presentations from our 2021 SPF conference.
31 March 2021
Addressing sexual harassment in the NHS
In 2019, partners agreed to extend the focus of the SPF's call to action to include tackling sexual harassment in the NHS.
12 April 2019