Yorkshire & Humber SPF
The Yorkshire and Humber Social Partnership Forum (Y&H SPF) is a sub group of the North of England SPF. It was established in November 2014. The Y&H SPF sub group was set up by employers, trade unions and NHS Employers engagement team North to pursue their common purpose of developing a world class health service, delivered by a world class workforce, in the NHS in Yorkshire and Humber.
Effective partnership working will produce important benefits. These include improved services for patients and users and ensuring high standards of employment practices in the health services in the Yorkshire and Humber.
The Y&H SPF sub group will ensure that the principles underpinning the Partnership Agreement Framework agreed by the Department of Health, NHS Employers and NHS Trade Unions operate effectively within the Yorkshire and Humber region.
The partnership recognises respective roles and responsibilities, establishes shared values and common purpose and sets some key principles for effective joint working. It provides the basis for a continually improving partnership which will lead to long-term solutions that work both for staff and for users.
The Yorkshire and Humber SPF sub-group is co-chaired by Susan Tyler, Director of Workforce Development, Leeds and Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Charlie Carruth, Regional Organiser, UNISON.
To provide a modern partnership approach to issues affecting the NHS workforce where a Yorkshire and Humber-wide view is needed or would be useful.
In particular it will:
• Develop a strategic agenda on key priorities in Yorkshire and Humber including service reconfigurations, workforce issues and specialist commissioning.
• Contribute trade union and employer perspectives to the development and implementation of policy
• Provide constructive comments on implementation at a formative stage
• Contribute ideas on the workforce implications of the implementation of policy
• Promote effective communications between partners
• Promote good practice across the Yorkshire and Humber
• Feed Yorkshire and Humber region views into national groups including Staff Council, the Social Partnership Forum and the Stakeholder Forum
• Support and contribute to the work of the North of England Social Partnership Forum
• Contribute to the strengthening of commissioning within the Yorkshire and Humber.
• To keep the patient at the centre of everything we do.
To enable effective operation of these partnership arrangements, the partners agree to recognise and respect each other’s roles and functions which are distinct but complementary.
The partners recognise that:
- NHS organisations have responsibility for implementing national policy
- Trade unions have a responsibility to represent and act in the interest of their members
- Other stakeholders will have views which will need to be taken into account
This partnership agreement is underpinned by shared values and common purpose. In particular, partners:
- Have a shared commitment to continuous improvement, including access to high quality services and delivering value for money to the public
- Believe the NHS should promote good practice in all areas of staff management, including equality and diversity, staff development and a commitment to security of employment
- Agree that the NHS should take a collective approach to support staff that may be affected by service changes.
Principles for effective joint working
All partners recognise the importance of good formal and informal working relations, built on trust and shared responsibility, while still respecting difference. All partners commit to adopt these principles in their dealings with each other:
- Building trust and a mutual respect for each other’s roles and responsibilities.
- A positive and constructive approach
- Early discussion of emerging issues and maintaining dialogue on policy and priorities
- Openness, honesty and transparency in communications
- Where appropriate, confidentiality and agreed external positions
- Making the best use of resources
Membership of the Y&H Social Partnership Forum Sub Group will comprise Trade Union Representatives, Commissioners and Employers and will include representatives from:
- Employers in the NHS in the Yorkshire and Humber, from a cross-section of organisations and job roles.
- Yorkshire and Humber trade unions party to the Agenda for Change agreement, plus the BMA and MiP
- Commissioning Representatives from Clinical Commissioning Groups, Health Education Y&H, Commissioning Support Units
- NHS Employers
Other stakeholders will be invited as appropriate.
The Partnership may set up ad hoc working groups from time to time to consider particular issues where a Yorkshire and Humber view is required.
The Yorkshire and Humber SPF sub group meetings are held bimonthly, with short life task and finish groups formed as required for specific pieces of work. Members of the Yorkshire and Humber SPF can access all papers for the meetings in the regional community area of the website.
The 2017 Y&H SPF sub group meetings have been confirmed to take place from 1:30 – 3:30 on the following dates:
• 17 February 2017
• 7 April 2017
• 9 June 2017
• 11 August 2017
• 6 October 2017
• 8 December 2017
The 2018 Y&H SPF sub group meetings has been confirmed to take place from 1:30 – 3:30 on the following dates:
• February 2018 – Date TBC
Members of the Social Partnership Forum are committed to continuous improvement and to ensure that meetings and relationships remain productive it has been agreed that members will take part in an annual behaviour audit.
The behaviour audit toolkit was developed in partnership with ACAS and sets out the ten behaviours that are required for effective partnership working to take place.
Individuals are asked to rate the forums effectiveness at demonstrating these behaviours and this promotes discussion about ways to improve and strengthen partnership working at the North of England SPF.
The partnership behaviours toolkit is an excellent resource for building good working relationships in social partnership forums and has been adopted by a number of SPFs across the country.
For any information on the North of England SPF, or any sub-regional SPF’s, please contact:
North Engagement Team
2 Brewery Wharf
North Engagement Twitter: @NHSE_North
Tel: 0113 306 3000