Civility and respect toolkit
In January 2021, NHS England and NHS Improvement (NHSEI) launched the following resources.
- Supporting our staff: a toolkit to promote cultures of civility and respect (pdf). There was a commitment in the NHS People Plan 2020/21 for NHSEI to make this toolkit available to NHS organisations to support their work in promoting cultures of civility and respect. The national SPF was involved in the development of the toolkit.
- Condensed version of the full toolkit (pdf).
- Civility and Respect Animation - NHS England 2023 which sets out the purpose of the civility and respect toolkit and gives an overview of how it can be used.
- Cost of bullying calculator and diagnostic tool (excel macro-enabled workbook, May 2022). To access this tool, download the file, save it with a different name, close it down, and re-open it with a different name.
- Guidance on commissioning external consultants (pdf) to review bullying and harassment in NHS organisations.
For more information on the toolkit to promote cultures of civility and respect, please contact NHS England.
Make or Break: Incivility in the workplace
Incivility in the workplace can have a detrimental effect on staff and patient safety. Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust new video shows how incivility can negatively impact on staff working in the NHS and the positive benefits of active kindness. Watch the video below.
SPF call to action review report published
In July 2019, Creating a culture of civility, compassion and respect was published. This report sets out the activity carried out by the SPF and partner organisations since the launch of its tackling bullying in the NHS call to action and SPF priorities for year three.
Additional tools and resources
- The ACAS website includes number of resources about understanding discrimination, bullying and harassment.
- There are also free online courses in bullying and harassment, conflict resolution, managing people and performance management.
British Medical Association
- Bullying and harassment support resources.
- Bullying and harassment: how to address it and create a supportive inclusive culture (pdf).
- Workplace bullying and harassment of doctors report (pdf). This report includes definitions of bullying and harassment, the possible causes, the impact on an individual and on organisations and evidence-based policy recommendations for eliminating bullying and harassment.
Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- Managing conflict in the modern workplace (pdf). A report which recommends employers embrace a culture that encourages dialogue and early conflict resolution.
- Dealing with conflict at work: a guide for people managers supports managers identify and manage conflict at work.
- Bullying at work: beyond policies to a culture of respect (pdf). A guide to help personnel professionals deal more effectively with bullying, harassment and interpersonal conflict at work.
General Medical Council (GMC)
- How doctors in senior leadership roles establish and maintain a positive patient-centred culture research report gives insight into the experiences and challenges faced by senior doctors in leadership roles.
- Bullying in healthcare webpage featuring resources and guidance to help build a positive culture and a supportive environment.
- Professionalism and Cultural Transformation (PACT) toolkit containing practical information, advice and solutions to equip staff to deal with unprofessional attitudes and behaviours in the workplace.
- Tackling bullying in the NHS infographic from the NHS Staff Council's Health, Safety and Wellbeing Partnership Group aims to raise awareness of the impact of bullying and what organisations, managers, and individuals can do to tackle it.
The Civility Saves Lives website reveals the impact of rudeness on the recipient, onlooking staff, patients and their relatives.
NHS England & NHS Improvement has a website section dedicated to creating a culture of compassionate and inclusive leadership.
The Royal College of Nursing hosts a webpage offering advice on dealing with bullying and harassment.
The Workplace Behaviour Toolkit, developed in collaboration with Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Royal College of Midwives, Civility Saves Lives and Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh has a number of resources to positive workplace cultures.
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh runs an anti-bullying campaign called #LetsRemoveIt. As part of the campaign it hosts a number of resources including: Is my behaviour affecting the team, Resources to help change the culture and Are you being bullied?
Read East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust's case study on the Acas website to find out how they built on existing mediation processes to develop a more systemic approach to early conflict resolution.
Stonewall article: Harassment in the workplace.
UNISON guide: Bullying and harassment in the workplace.