NHS equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) improvement plan
The NHS EDI plan outlines targeted actions to address direct and indirect prejudice and discrimination against certain groups and individuals across the NHS workforce. It covers the importance of EDI to the NHS, actions required for change, accountability and responsibility for the delivery of these actions, support from NHS England, and a framework for integrated care boards.
Read the NHS EDI plan on NHS England's website.
Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES)
The WRES constitutes several indicators of workforce equality against which employers are expected to demonstrate progress. The standard’s aim is to ensure equal access to career opportunities and fair treatment in the workplace for black and minority ethnic (BME) backgrounds. The WRES is mandated through the NHS standard contract.
Learn more about WRES on NHS England’s (NHSE’s) website.
Delivering racial equality in Medicine
In June 2022, the British Medical Association (BMA) published a report based on the findings of a survey of over 2,000 doctors looking at the extent and causes of race inequality in the NHS.
To access the BMA’s survey report and read the key findings, see the BMA website.
#InclusiveHR is a social movement for change which aims to reduce disparity and increase inclusivity in the HR and organisational development (OD) profession. The aim is for the people profession to champion inclusivity and diversity and become a leader of change.
People professionals can get involved by engaging with the campaign on social media and implementing the ‘5 step challenge to change’, which involves establishing current challenges and designing, implementing and evaluating interventions.
Read the #InclusiveHR toolkit on the HPMA website to learn more about the movement and the 5-step challenge.
- NHSE's combatting racial discrimination against minority ethnic nurses, midwives and nursing associates resource to support those staff groups with advice on the action they can take if they witness or experience racism, published November 2022.
- Resources to tackle racism and discrimination are available on NHS Employers website.
- NHS Confederation's commit, understand, act: our antiracism strategy.
- The General Medical Council's ethical hub on tackling racism in the workplace.
- NHSE, London region’s workforce race strategy.
- NHSE, Midlands region’s recommendations for tackling racism and other types of discrimination.
- NHSE, East of England region’s antiracism strategy.