North SPF - Celebrating diversity and 70 years of the NHS
The North SPF held their annual conference on 22 June in Horizon, Leeds, and were joined by a variety of speakers focusing on diversity and inclusion, developing positive cultures and addressing bias. The day was also an opportunity to celebrate the NHS 70th Birthday.
The meeting was chaired jointly by Charlie Carruth, regional officer for Unison and staff side chair for the North SPF, and Lisa Crichton-Jones, director of workforce transformation for the North East and North Cumbria STP and management side chair of the North SPF.
54 delegates attended including HR directors, trade unions, clinical commissioners, local authority and equality and diversity leads.
- Amanda Oates, executive director of workforce, Mersey Care NHS FT and Mandi Gregory, staff side chair at Mersey Care – Implementing a just and learning culture
- Joy Warmington, CEO of brap, national equalities and human rights charity - “Cakeism” – the doctrine of having one’s cake and eating it too
- Hannah Eustace, NHS England - Celebrating 70 years of the NHS
- Estephanie Dunn, regional director – RCN and student nurses Rachael Lambe and Ellen Soutter, The University of Chester talking about becoming a nurse – then and now
- Sophie Robinson, branch vice-chair and LGBT officer - My transgender journey: Insights from a health professional
Members interacted and participated throughout the day using Slido to submit questions and interact with the speakers. To finish the day delegates worked in groups and were asked to share their experiences on what they are most proud of that the NHS has achieved in 70 years and what they would like to see change, improve and what they would keep in the next 30 years. Read about group work outcomes.
Check out the evaluation summary and the key communications from the event.
The next North SPF Conference is scheduled to take place on 28 June 2019.